Wednesday 7 November 2012

David Carson


David Carson is an American graphic designer born on September 8th 1954; he is renowned for his experimental typography and his magazine designs. David first started designing in the 1980s at the University of Arizona. David Carson worked as a teacher from 1982 to 1987 at Torrey Pines High School in San Diego. In the 1990s Carson was one of the most influential graphic designers around. He published his first magazine in 1992; Ray Gun Magazine which included information on his interests; music and lifestyle.

I first came across David Carson in my second year of college; I used quite a lot of his typography work to influence my own. I found his work to be very creative which showed me how to create different forms of type. I also noticed in his work that it is not always important to make the work readable through visual communication; it is also important to make type visually stimulating to the eye. I wasn’t very interested in the magazines he produced but a lot of the work in them combined type with photographs; allowing a different way of reading. My favourite issue was number 3, I liked that the photograph was placed upside down; something you would not normally find on magazines.




No comments:

Post a Comment